- Category: electronicsanddiy electronicsanddiy
- Published: 29 May 2015 29 May 2015
An easy to build and elegant scratching pole for your kitty.
A DIY Scratching Pole For Your Cat
Once in a while, it's refreshing to build something with leftover parts from other projects. So what do you do with half of an old floor-lamp, some piece of wood laminate and sisal rope? A cat scratcher thingy of course!:) I'm usually not too skilled with small 'craft' projects, but I'm quite happy how this one turned-out. Also notice the small solar lamp added on top so it glows at night:).
How to build
Unfortunately, I didn't capture the detailed steps as I was building this, but here's an outline for those interested.
- 1 thin piece of wood or laminate
- Metal base of an old floor lamp (mine was otherwise headed to the trash)
- 50ft sisal rope, 3/8 in
- 1 small aluminum bracket and screws
- Small rug strips (to cover the sides of the wood)
- 1 solar garden lamp to place on the top (optional)
- Electric stapler (to staple the rope on the wood)
- Drills and drill bits (to drill holes on the wood and metal)
- Scissors and knife
- Screw drivers
Hopefully the figures below give you a good idea of how this was built. I started by stapling strips of an old, thin rug on the sides. I then rolled the sisal rope while adding staples along the way on the back of the wood. The mounting bracket mechanism can be seen on the detail photo. I finished it by capping the top of the tube with a garden lamp. This is a nice touch as the top of the scratcher lights-up at night!
Figure 1 - The Complete Scratcher
Figure 2 - A Different View
Figure 3 - Side View
Figure 4 - Detail View - Mountig Bracket and Solar Lamp
So, in summary, this is a simple and quick way to build your cat a scratch pole that actually looks quite elegant. Hope you found this useful.
Comments, questions, suggestions? You can reach me at: contact (at sign) paulorenato (dot) com